is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any state government agency.
Notice is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and does not assemble or evaluate information for the purpose of supplying consumer reports.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree” you consent to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy agree not to use information provided by for any purpose under the FCRA, including to make determinations regarding an individual’s eligibility for personal credit, insurance, employment, or for tenant screening.

This website contains information collected from public and private resources. cannot confirm that information provided below is accurate or complete. Please use information provided by responsibly.

You understand that by clicking “I Agree”, will conduct only a preliminary people search of the information you provide and that a search of any records will only be conducted and made available after you register for an account or purchase a report.

South Dakota Court Records is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by the FCRA and does not provide consumer reports. All searches conducted on are subject to the Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.


What Are South Dakota Inmate Records?

South Dakota inmate records contain details about a person sentenced to confinement in a state, county, or city detention facility. Inmate records may be used as official confirmation that the person named on the record was convicted of a crime and sentenced by a court to time behind bars. These records also contain personal information on an inmate and administrative details as created by the holding facility. The following are details available on an inmate’s record:

  • Full name
  • Age
  • Gender
  • Hair color
  • Height
  • Eye color
  • Weight
  • Known aliases
  • Current facility
  • DOC number
  • Parole office, if applicable
  • Correctional status
  • Any additional info, such as escaped inmates, and absconded parolees

Inmate records are considered public opinion under the South Dakota Sunshine Law. This allows all residents of South Dakota to request records on past or current inmates incarcerated anywhere in the state.

How To Find An Inmate In South Dakota?

Inmate records are accessible from the South Dakota Department of Corrections (SDDOC). The SDDOC allows interested persons to find inmates using the offender locator search function. To find a record, requestors may use the inmate’s DOC number, last name, or first name.

Requestors should note that the information available on the SDDOC’s online database only covers public details on felony offenders incarcerated in state prisons. The information is derived from the SDDOC’s records and records from several courts in the state. Persons interested in finding probationers and inmates in county jails may find search functions on county websites. In some cases, search functions may also be available from the county sheriff’s office’s website. The information available on these online databases may also vary between counties.

For example, the Minnehaha County Sheriff’s Office provides a search function requestors may use to find inmates in the county jail facility. The search result shows the inmate’s full name, number, intake time and date, bond amount, and charge details. Alternatively, interested persons may also use the sheriff’s office’s full inmate listing, which is updated every fifteen minutes. Interested persons may also search for Pennington County inmates online.

Note that incarcerated persons may be awaiting trial or held under different circumstances. Requestors may not take the existence of an inmate record as a confirmation of guilt or conviction.

How To Find A Federal Inmate In South Dakota?

The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) maintains and issues records on all federal inmates. Through the BOP’s inmate locator, interested persons may search online for federal inmates in South Dakota. Requestors may search by name or by number.

The name search allows users to find an inmate using the person’s first, middle, or last name. Note that the first and last names are compulsory queries. Other options available to filter the result include the inmate’s age, race, or sex.

The inmate locator also allows interested persons to find an inmate using any of the following numbers:

  • BOP register number
  • District of Columbia Department of Corrections (DCDC) number
  • Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) number
  • Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) number

Both methods present search results, which include the inmate’s full name, BOP register number, race, sex, age, possible release date, and current location. Requestors are advised to regularly confirm an inmate’s details as sentences may be subject to change according to the First Step Act.

Details available on the BOP’s online database are for inmates incarcerated in federal facilities from 1982. Persons seeking records of inmates incarcerated before 1982 may request from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). The following are inmate records obtainable from the NARA:

  • United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas (1895—1931)
  • Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, California (1934 - 1963)
  • Atlanta Federal Penitentiary (1902—1921)
  • McNeil Island
  • Fort Smith, Arkansas (1866—1900)

Interested persons may request inmate records from NARA by filling the form on the contact page. Records are also available via mail by sending a written request to the NARA. Requestors should ensure that the written request contains the following details on the inmate:

  • Full name
  • Any known aliases
  • Ethnicity or race
  • Approximate age during sentence
  • Date of the prison sentence, of estimated date during which the sentence was active

Enclose the written request and send to:

The National Archives and Records Administration

8601 Adelphi Road

College Park, MD 20740–6001

Phone: (866) 272–6272

Alternatively, contact the Federal Prison Camp, Yankton (FPC Yankton), the state’s federal detention facility. Interested persons may reach out to the facility by mail, phone, fax, or email, using the following details:

Federal Prison Camp, Yankton

1601 Douglas Avenue

Yankton, SD 57078

Phone: (605) 665–3262

Fax: (605) 668–113

Email: YAN/

How Do I Find Inmate Records In South Dakota?

Interested persons may contact the South Dakota Department of Corrections to request copies of inmate records. Send a written request to the SDDOC with as many details on the inmate as may be available. The request should also contain the requestor’s details, including a return address to receive the records. Note that fees may apply. Send the request to the SDDOC in person, by mail, or fax, using the following details:

South Dakota Department of Corrections

3200 East Highway 34

c/o 500 East Capitol Avenue

Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: (605) 773–3478

Fax: (605) 773–3194

Requestors may also directly contact any of the state’s detention facilities. Send a written request with complete details to any of the following institutions:

South Dakota State Penitentiary

1600 North Drive

PO Box 5911

Sioux Falls, SD 57117

Phone: (605) 367–5051

Jameson Annex

1600 North Drive

PO Box 5911

Sioux Falls, SD 57117

Phone: (605) 367–5120

Rapid City Community Work Center

2725 Creek Drive

Rapid City, SD 57703

Phone: (605) 394–5294

South Dakota Women’s Prison

3200 East Highway 34

c/o 500 East Capitol Avenue

Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: (605) 773–6636

Mike Durfee State Prison

1412 Wood Street

Springfield, SD 57062

Phone: (605) 369–2201

Yankton Community Center

178 Mickelson Drive

Yankton, SD 57078

Phone: (605) 668–3355

To request inmate records for persons in county jails, contact the jail or the sheriff’s office with jurisdiction over the facility.

Records that are considered public may be accessible from some third-party websites. These websites often make searching simpler, as they are not limited by geographic location, and search engines on these sites may help when starting a search for a specific or multiple records. To begin using such a search engine on a third-party or government website, interested parties usually must provide:

  • The name of the person involved in the record, unless said person is a juvenile
  • The location or assumed location of the record or person involved. This includes information such as the city, county, or state that the person resides in or was accused in

Third-party sites are independent of government sources and are not sponsored by these government agencies. Because of this, record availability on third-party sites may vary.

How To Put Money On Jail Inmates Book In South Dakota?

Although cash possessions are disallowed, inmates may receive funds from family and friends. The SDDOC allows inmates to receive funds into their inmate accounts. Funds may be deposited online and via mail.

The SDDOC allows depositors to send funds to inmates through JailATM, a third-party platform. Interested persons may create an account by providing an email address or username and following the subsequent prompts. Note that online payments require a debit and credit card. Payments may also attract a transaction fee.

Family and friends may also deposit funds to an inmate’s account by mail. These deposits require a business or payroll check, money order, or a United States cashier’s check. Ensure that the check or money order contains the inmate’s name, DOC number, and other essential details. Note that the SDDOC will return cash or personal checks to the sender at the inmate’s expense. Depositors should send the check or money order directly to the facility housing the inmate.

Family and friends may also send funds to an inmate’s debit phone account. However, the funds should be sent directly to the phone vendor. Contact the facility to find details on the phone vendor and information on how to deposit funds.

  • Criminal Records
  • Arrests Records
  • Warrants
  • Driving Violations
  • Inmate Records
  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Bankruptcies
  • Tax & Property Liens
  • Civil Judgements
  • Federal Dockets
  • Probate Records
  • Marriage Records
  • Divorce Records
  • Death Records
  • Property Records
  • Asset Records
  • Business Ownership
  • Professional Licenses
  • And More!